Calista Corporation each year schedules an Annual Meeting of Shareholders. This meeting is crucial because Shareholders elect members to the Board of Directors and vote on any proposed resolutions. Due to the high cost of travel, annual meetings are generally held throughout the Calista Region in order to reach as many Shareholders as possible.
2023 Annual Meeting of Shareholders
- Date: June 2, 2023
- Community: Platinum
- Online voting: www.CalistaVote.com (voting will begin on or before April 28)
- Annual Meeting packet mail/email date: (sent on or before April 28)
Did you know? In 2020 alone, Shareholders who opted to receive Annual Meeting materials electronically saved over 1,300 pounds of paper! That’s helping #SaveTreesForMaqiis!
2023 Voting Materials
Full Annual Meeting materials will be distributed on or before April 28, 2023 in 2 packets, OR by email IF a Shareholder has opted for electronic delivery.
- One large packet will be sent to each Shareholder household. This packet includes the Annual Report book with audited financials, a comment card, and a Proxy Booklet with Proxy Statement, agenda, proxy prize lists, and more.
- A smaller envelope will be sent to each individual voting Shareholder. This envelope will contain a Proxy Form for voting and a postage-paid return envelope. The back of the Proxy Form has the Shareholder’s name, number of shares, number of votes, PIN to vote online, and more.
Annual Meeting Packet - Paper or Electronic
Once available, printed Annual Meeting materials are EITHER mailed (default) OR emailed (to those who opted for electronic delivery).
Paper Option (default)
Two items are mailed to eligible Shareholders via USPS First Class. This option uses 100 pages of paper or more.
- Annual Meeting Packet (1 per household): This large envelope (about 10″ by 13″) contains the Annual Report book (financials), a Proxy Booklet (candidate and current Director info, agenda, Proxy Prize details, etc.), and a comment card. To save over $40,000 and reduce paper use by about 3 tons each year, Annual Meeting Packets are now delivered one per Shareholder household. Click here for more details on the Annual Meeting Packet Mailing Change, effective 2018.
- Proxy Voting Form (1 per voting Shareholder): This standard envelope includes an official Proxy Form for voting, and a postage-paid return envelope addressed to the Inspector of Elections. The Proxy Form is addressed to an individual voting Shareholder. The back of each official Proxy Form will include the Shareholder’s name, PIN to vote online at CalistaVote.com, number of shares owned, number of votes available, and other details.
Electronic Delivery option (opt-in here)
- Email: An email is sent to each Shareholder who opts for electronic delivery. The email contains a link to the Annual Meeting materials, the PIN to vote online at CalistaVote.com, and a link to the online voting website.
- Mailed PIN letter: As a backup to email, a single piece of paper is mailed via USPS First Class to each Shareholder who opts for electronic delivery. The letter notes that Annual Meeting materials are available electronically, the PIN to vote online at CalistaVote.com, and a link to the online voting website.
Did you know? The average Shareholder completes online voting in less than 4 minutes.
Opt In: Electronic Delivery of Annual Meeting materials
Where's My PIN?
Your online voting PIN is distributed the same day materials are mailed. For most Shareholders it is included in your blue paper Proxy Form, mailed via first-class postage. Over 2,000 Shareholders also received their PIN via email the same day.
The blue paper Proxy Form was sent to each individual voting Shareholder (except for email opt-ins). The back of the Proxy Form has the Shareholder’s name, number of shares, number of votes, PIN to vote online, and more.
What should I do if I lose or forget my voting PIN?
Go to www.CalistaVote.com and click “Proxy Voting Shareholder Login”. In the second paragraph, click “PIN Lookup Tool“. Enter your full birthdate (MM/DD/YYYY, for example 01/02/2021) and the last 4 of your SSN.
For those who opted for electronic delivery of Annual Meeting materials, look for the email. The email contains a link to Annual Meeting materials and the PIN to vote online at CalistaVote.com. Shareholders opted-in for electronic delivery also received their individual PIN in a first-class postage mailer sent the same day.
Proxy Prizes and Deadlines
All proxy votes and ballots are received, verified, and counted by the independent Inspector of Elections (not Calista staff). All proxy prize winners are randomly drawn by the Inspector of Elections. The Inspector of Elections is Sramek-Hightower, a certified public accounting firm with offices in Anchorage.
Proxy prizes are only awarded if quorum is reached and the Annual Meeting is valid.
FAQs on Campaigning and Endorsements
As a Shareholder, can I campaign for any candidate of my choosing on social media?
Yes. However, please be aware that Alaska law requires any person who distributes materials (posts, comments or shares) relating to proxy solicitations to at least 30 Alaska resident Shareholders must send the materials to the Alaska Division of Banking and Securities at the same time the materials are distributed to Shareholders. This includes any materials published on the Internet. Shareholders may meet this legal requirement by emailing the proxy materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why are there Board-endorsed candidates?
Calista is growing fast, consistently profitable, and has been increasing the amount of distributions and other benefits paid to Shareholders. The Calista Board decided it would be good to let Shareholders know if the Board endorsed one or more candidates, in order to give Shareholders a way to express support for Calista’s continued growth, profitability and payment of benefits to Shareholders.
Is it legal for the Board to endorse one or more board candidates?
Yes, Alaska law permits ANCSA corporation boards to endorse candidates. Top-performing corporations, including Fortune 500 companies, often endorse board candidates.
The Annual Meeting of Shareholders is held at least once every five years in Bethel, and at least once every seven years in Anchorage. The other meetings will be held in villages in the Calista Region selected by the Board of Directors.
2023 Annual Meeting of Shareholders information
- Date: June 2, 2023
- Community: Platinum
- Annual Meeting packet mail/email date: on or before April 28
Opt for Electronic Annual Meeting Materials
Did you know? Only Bethel, Kasigluk, Aniak and St. Mary’s have each hosted more than 1 Annual Meeting in Calista’s history (through 2020).
Quorum - If Too Few Shareholders Vote
Quorum must be met in order to conduct a valid Annual Meeting. If too few Shareholders vote and quorum is not reached, the Annual Meeting must be rescheduled, which would cost Calista and its Shareholders significant time, effort, and money. Additionally, Proxy Prizes are only awarded if quorum is reached.
Historically, the average Shareholder voting participation of all Annual Meetings is only 51.15%. For the 2012-2017 Annual Meetings, less than 4 in 10 Shareholders 18-39 years old voted. And less than half of Shareholders in their 40s voted during that timeframe.
Calista Shareholder Awards
2022 Calista Corporation Shareholder Awards: See the 2022 Winners!
Calista Shareholder Awards recognize exceptional efforts by Shareholders to uphold the cultural values of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta and its communities. Each award recipient will receive a plaque and $1,500.
See the List and Bios of Shareholder Award Winners
- Through 2020, a total of 33 communities have hosted 45 annual meetings
- From 2019-2020, Shareholders who opted to receive Annual Meeting materials electronically saved over 2,300 pounds of paper
- The Calista Region is located in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta
- About 60% of Shareholders live in the Calista Region
- Online voting was first made available in 2014
- Of Calista’s roughly 34,500 Shareholders, about 9,000 are original Shareholders
- On average, only 5.1 of every 10 Shareholders vote
- Less than 3 minutes: The time it takes a majority of Shareholders to vote online at CalistaVote.com
- Over 6 in 10: The number of Shareholders who voted online since 2018
- Over 1 in 3: The number of voting Elders who voted online since 2019
NEW: Find your PIN